THE STORY, THE VERY BEGINNING!
Behind every inspiration there is a story. In our years of association with the fashion and design industry, we met with many young talented designers who were not quite satisfied with the platform available to them. They felt the fashion events and shows have started to orient more towards money-minting rather than focus on showcasing their talents and creating business opportunities. The growing number of meaningless fashion events have further deteriorated the present system. The designers’ market is facing a slowdown. The aspiring designers and upcoming talent lack the much-needed attention because of which they fail to reach their full potential and value. Most of these designers are doing good work and investing a lot of their time and efforts but receive hardly anything in return. Such disparity continues to exist in the fashion and design industry mainly because of the absence of clear vision and a well-planned growth (corporate) structure.
We wanted to address this issue and provide an equal opportunity platform to emerging designers and talents across the country. This is how the Asian Designer Week (ADW) was conceived. ADW focuses purely on showcasing designers from different parts of the country and continents. The concept behind Asia Designer Week is that it embodies the strong bond that exists between Asian countries with respect to the cultural values, traditions and heritage despite the diversities.
Asian Designer Week has been solely conceived for promoting the interests of all designers and helps them maximize their business value through increased opportunities, learning environment and a strong networking avenue. It is a platform that mixes professionalism, organized structure, passion for learning and continuous innovation to bring together designers from different cultures that resonate with one true voice – that of pure talent!
WHY ASIAN FASHION INDUSTRY
You’ll be amazed to know that today 50% of the luxury brands in the fashion and design industry are coming from the Asia-Pacific region. Thanks to the growing impact of the Asian culture and traditions on the West, we are witnessing a lot of success stories in countries like China, Japan, India, Singapore and other South-East nations.
Asia has evolved from being a low-cost manufacturing destination for apparel, shoes and textiles to becoming the birthplace of the latest in fashion trends and designs. The rich culture, various ethnicities and colourful traditions of Asian countries have inspired some unique creations that continue to fascinate the fashion circuit all over Europe and North America. Here are some important facts and figures of the Asian Fashion Industry:
- The global apparel market is valued at 3 trillion dollars, 3,000 billion, and accounts for 2 percent of the world’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
- India’s textile-apparel industry is estimated to touch $223 billion by 2021: Ficci
- By 2020, India is expected to generate $100 billion online retail revenue out of which $35 billion will come from fashion e-commerce.
- According to Reuters, the number of middle class luxury fashion consumers in Asia will double over the next 15 years.
- Travel has been a big factor in the rising popularity of affordable luxury brands in Asia.
- The First Lady, Michelle Obama on the Inaugural Night Ball, wore a gown designed by Jason Wu, a 26-year old designer of Taiwanese-descent.
- Japan’s fashion pioneer Kenzo Takada feels that Asian couture designers have the potential to become “trend-setters” of the fashion industry.